Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Two new articles published by yours truly!

My latest articles are right here!

From Divorced Moms...

12 Fun Books to Read This Summer
by Lizzy Smith 
April 21, 2014
Fotolia_55973889_XS.jpgWith summer fast approaching, it’s time to pick out some great books and get lost in them. Summer reads, in my opinion, must be page turners, highly entertaining and not require too much brainpower. Here are my 12 favorites:

The Glass Castle by Jeanne Walls
This is one of my favorite books of all time. It is one woman’s memoire of growing up with three siblings in a deeply dysfunctional family. Jeanne’s parents were brilliant but incredibly dangerous parents who moved the family from one adventure to the next in such locations as Nevada, Arizona and, finally, West Virginia. The book will leave you stunned, angry, and hopeful. One thing is guaranteed—you won’t be able to put this book down, nor will you ever forget the story.

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
The movie was so dumb that there are just no words. But the book is hilarious. I read this book on an airplane and couldn’t stop laughing at loud. I think my seatmates thought I was nuts. The whole series is actually very funny.

Keep reading...

From Myeloma Crowd...

Tales From Dex-Ambien Road

Tales From Dex-Ambien Road

by Lizzy Smith

When I was first diagnosed with multiple myeloma in January 2012, my treating oncologist prescribed 100 mg of Dex every day for 10 days, then 5 days off, then repeat. I didn’t understand it then but I felt awful. I felt like I was floating when I walked. My heart raced. I often felt dazed. When people spoke to me, I felt like they were speaking through a tunnel.

When I selected my myeloma doctor, he cut my Dex dose down dramatically. It helped. Still, Dex made me, at times, a monster. I would drive down the street and if someone appeared to have cut me off, it was all I could do not to chase the driver down and start screaming. The four letter words just flowed from my tongue effortlessly. Arguing with my insurance company over coverage or co-pays were, well, let’s just say “heated.” My poor children. I could be incredibly snarky. I started making them call me “Mommy Dearest” because I could turn into a raging mean person. And, to make matters worse, my meanness all seemed perfectly reasonable to me. My mom finally called my attention to it.

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment