Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Can you be friends with your ex? And is it wise? The answer is in my latest Divorced Moms column!

My latest Divorced Mom column is out!

Can You Be Friends With Your Ex? And Is It Wise?
by Lizzy Smilez                    
April 08, 2014
Fotolia_58252544_XS.jpgEarlier today, I exchanged text messages with my former step daughter, Kelly. I like her very much and respect her opinion. She might be 25 years my junior but in many respects, she's smarter. (By the way, a big shout out to Kelly's mother- and my former nemises- who raised her; she did a fantastic job.) Anyhow, Kelly mentioned her ex boyfriend.

“You’re back together?” I asked.

“We’re friends,” she responded.

Hmmm... yes, friends with the ex.

Which got me to thinking about my experiences with exes. Before I met and married my (now ex) husband, Rob, I had a boyfriend named Dan. We dated for ten months and when we broke up, I was completely done with our romance. I had no bad feelings towards him—we just didn’t work out. I still loved him very much, just not in "that" way. We spent so much time together and he was one of my closest friends and I felt no need to change any of that. The feeling was mutual. Seriously, if someone had paid me loads of money to maintain our former relationship, I wouldn't. But I did, however, want us to continue our deep friendship.

Keep reading... 

No comments:

Post a Comment