Tuesday, August 26, 2014

From www.myelomacrowd.org: With myeloma, sometimes it's just mind over matter

A week ago, someone asked me if I could have any job, what would it be? It would be to write and talk about the things I love, like divorce survivorship, surviving and escaping an alcoholic husband, healing, and, of course, CANCER survivorship. And then I realized that I am currently doing that. How many people are "lucky" enough to say that? This ability came through living and surviving some pretty horrible stuff, but I love making a difference. Here's my latest on the Myeloma Crowd.

With myeloma, sometimes it’s just mind over matter
by Lizzy Smith

With myeloma, sometimes it’s just mind over matter
When I was first diagnosed with myeloma in January 2012, my treating oncologist had me on a regiment that included insane amounts of Dex, along with Revlimid and a whole host of other drugs, none of which I can remember anymore. Rather quickly, I started feeling horrible. My voice changed dramatically. And I literally felt like I was floating when I walked around. I would take my daughters to school, or go to the grocery store, and it was a huge struggle. I dreaded mornings. I would wake up, climb up a few stairs to the family room and feel like I was going to pass out. I called my doctor’s office and spoke with a nurse.

“Why do I feel so terrible?” I asked. I kid you not, she started laughing. Like really laughing out loud, and this laugh lasted longer than I was comfortable with. How was any of this funny? Finally she said, “You have myeloma!”

Ok…

“As a myeloma patient, you just really need to prioritize what you must do and plan for it. Rest up for it. And the rest of the time, stay home and rest.” And that was it.

I finally was able to get my insurance switched around and became a patient at the Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. At my first visit, when he saw the list of drugs I was taking, he said, “How do you feel taking all that Dex?”

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment