Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Our Happy Mother's Day



First, I've got to pay homage to my amazing mother. Really, she's the most selfless, giving, loyal, and loving mom that ever lived. She is from Uruguay, born and raised. Her grandparents on both sides were straight from Italy, so she is 100 percent Italian. That makes me 50 percent! Which is one of the reasons we are going to Northern Italy in a few weeks-- to see where half of my heritage is from. Anyway, her dad was a prominent engineer who worked on the equipment to make wine. He died of a massive heart attack when she was five years old, leaving her mother to raise her and her 11 year old brother. It wasn't an easy task but my grandmother rocked it. She was a very strong and resilient woman. My mom, being totally enthralled with rock n roll and movie stars in America, emigrated here with her two closest friends when she was 22 years old. She barely spoke English but she felt the adventurous call and her she came. She met my dad in college, they married, and the rest is history.

When I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in January 2012 and fled my abusive husband, she and my dad were here to pick up the pieces. The drove from Utah immediately, were with me at the appointment when I was diagnosed, and helped me move from San Diego and into their home. She (and my dad) were with me every step of the way-- to countless appointments, staying with me in my "clean apartment" through two stem cell transplants, taking care of my kids, and taking care of me. An easy task? Hell no. She still helps me take care of the kids, helps them with homework, teaches Siena piano lessons, and so much more. She is my best friend, biggest cheerleader, and I am her biggest fan.

And sitting on the other side of Mother's Day is ME! I am a mom. It is the greatest thing I've ever done. It's also the hardest and most frustrating and, at times, heartbreaking. The enormity of this responsibility sometimes overpowers me. On Sunday evening, Morgan asked me if I liked being a mom. The answer was YES. It has given my life meaning. I never knew love like I did when I adopted my children. When I picked up Morgan from Russia, I would watch her sleeping and I would realize that I loved her so much that it hurt my heart. I would tear up and cry. I was more prepared for that profound love when I picked up Siena. But hangin' with my two girls is, seriously, the BEST THING EVER. Except when they fight, but let's keep this one on a positive note.

Photo: Mother's Day! I'm lucky to have THE BEST mom EVER and THE BEST daughters ever.

Anyway, a little recap on what we did. First, we went to church with my parents. We left early and then met everyone at Market Street Grill for brunch.  The girls left with my parents and William and I went exploring a few amazingly phenomenal neighborhoods and hiking trails around Draper. We also bought desserts at a beautiful grocery store. Later, we went to my parents' house and hung out, ate dessert, and watched TV. Nothing spectacular, per se, but spending time with the people I love the most is always a great thing.



Lastly, I got a few gifts. From Morgan, a necklace/earring combo. So pretty and thoughtful. I have worn them the last two days.

And from Siena, she put together a Q&A about me. It's so cute and funny (and totally inaccurate) ) that I have to share. Enjoy!

My mom's name is: lizzet
My mom is 23 years old
My mom is 5 feet 1 inches tall
My mom has blond hair and brown eyes
My mom's favorite food is shrimp
My mom's favorite TV show is Doctor Phil and Mad Men
My mom's favorite movie is Thor
My mom loves to wear sweats
My mom drives a Volvo SUV
My mom is really good at watching TV
My mom's job is to take care of me and my sister
My mom wakes up at 19 o'clock am
When I am at school, my mom goes to get her hair done
My mom works really hard to make her hair look good
When my mom is with her friends, she likes to go to lunch
My mom wishes that there would be peace in the world
When I get home from school my mom gives me a big hug
My mom goes to bed at 7:00 pm
To relax my mom likes to watch TV
The best thing my mom cooks is shrimp with pasta
One thing that makes my mom mad is me not picking up my clothes
One thing that makes my mom happy is me being sweet and being with her friends
My mom makes me laugh was when we were in the grocery story and she said "Where are the bananas?" And I said "I'm right here mom." Because my nickname used to be Siena Banana.
My mom's favorite season is summer because we get to go to the beach with our friends
My mom wants to go on a vacation to Italy and Turkey
My mom's favorite vacation is when we went to my favorite place, Maui
When my mom was my age, she liked to color
When my mom was my age, her favorite subject in school was math
My earliest memory of my mom and me was when my mom and dad got me from the orphanage
My mom's favorite memory of me was when she asked "where are the bananas."
I love it when my mom reads to me. We go to my bed and she reads my favorite book called The Secret Garden
If I had $1 million I would buy my mom a yellow car. It is a Bug but it is small
Some day my mom and me will go to Italy and we will go to a garden.

Dear Mom,

You are the best mom ever. I love when you come to my soccer games. I love when you cook my favorite foods in the morning and when I come home. You make my favorite lunches. I love it when you pick me up from school and we go to Paradise Bakery and get a smoothie or a cookie.

XOXOXOXO Love Siena

No comments:

Post a Comment