Sunday, October 27, 2013

Suck it up, Cupcake



I achieved a Big Huge Milestone this weekend: I entered and completed my first race since being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in January 2012. Just so I don't mislead: that race was a whopping 5k. http://thehauntedhalf.com/

So early Saturday morning, William woke me up (too early) and I dropped him off at the start line of the Haunted Halloween Half Marathon. It was chilly! I then drove to the start of the 5k. It was busy and, yet, a truck in a space right in front of me pulled out. Perfect! I started pulling into the spot and I could see a woman about 35 years old running to that same spot on foot. She stopped, right there in the middle.

"I'm saving this space," she said.

Excuse me? "You can't save spaces," I said. I was amazingly calm.

"She has a baby. You just need to go find another spot," she said. She motioned to her phone. "I'm calling her now. She'll be here in just a few minutes."

Good thing I wasn't taking my Dex that morning because this could have gotten dangerous (for her). "I don't think so."

"I'm not moving," she said. She folded her arms in front of her after she took off her glasses so I could see her glaring at me.

Ok, honey, see the headband? That's right- "Suck it up, Cupcake. Now move along." I won my spot.

And that's now my new motto! And I love my headband. I think I should buy a few more in a plethora of colors.

My short little race was beautiful-- fall colors, lots of trees, a river I didn't know existed, new hiking trails to explore. While I waited for William to finish the half, I had ample time while to walk around the State Capitol building, something I've never done before. Dang, I love Utah. It's so beautiful here. Stunningly beautiful. There were statues and memorials and a meditation chapel and the cutest dang houses ever. Older, restored, charming nestled among huge trees that were red and orange from the Fall colors.



After William was done was his race (I was so proud of him!), we got some lunch, went to a little chocolatier and ate ice cream, and then checked into the Armstrong Mansion B&B (http://www.armstrongmansion.com/). Can I say charming? I love that we try to discover new and interesting things to do, see and stay. There are so many gems out there and while I can enjoy a Marriott or Hyatt like the next person, this is far more memorable and romantic and cozy. We ate a great stake dinner at Spencer's http://www.spencersforsteaksandchops.com/saltlakecity/ and then retreated to Armstrong Inn and watched a movie. I think I was sound asleep before 9:00 PM. I felt so well rested and peaceful and content this morning.

It was only less than two days that I didn't see my girls but I really missed them! When we got home, I kept looking at the clock and counting down the minutes until my mom would drop them off from church. When I heard, "Mommy!" I just ran up to Morgan and Siena and we had a very long group hug. Will they ever know how much I completely and totally love them? I will walk over hot coals and shredded glass a million times over for them, even if that means filing a paternity suit (of which I am seriously considering) on behalf of Siena. I'm so proud of the people they're growing up to be. I just hope and pray that God will guide me in parenting them in the best way possible and that He will guide me in making good decisions when it comes to them.

I'll leave you with a song I love and forgot about: Out Here On My Own. It touches my soul and I'll just leave it at that with no other explanation for now. Maybe some day I'll get in to this but not tonight. Sweet dreams, readers.

Out Here On My Own
Sometimes I wonder where I've been
Who I am
Do I fit in.
Make believin' is hard alone,
Out here on my own

We're always provin' who we are
Always reachin' for the risin' star
To guide me far
And shine me home
Out here on my own

When I'm down and feelin' blue
I close my eyes so I can be with you
Oh, baby, be strong for me
Baby, belong to me
Help me through
Help me need you

Until the morning sun appears
Making light of all my fears
I dry the tears
I've never shown
Out here on my own

When I'm down and feelin' blue
I close my eyes so I can be with you
Oh, baby, be strong for me
Baby, belong to me
Help me through
Help me need you

Sometimes I wonder where I've been
Who I am
Do I fit in
I may not win
But I can't be thrown
Out here on my own
On my own

No comments:

Post a Comment