Friday, October 18, 2013

Mommy Dearest is back in full swing

I am fighting an awful cold. Every single inch of my body aches. I have a sinus headache that won't quit. And without Afrin, I wouldn't be able to breathe. Yesterday, I dragged my sick self out of bed and helped the girls get ready for school, which entailed making their breakfasts and lunches, helping Siena do her hair, and signing off on forms for Morgan. When carpool picked them up (yay, I'm not driving this week), I was so happy.

I went to my bathroom, started up a nice bath, dumped my Epsom salts in with lavender and eucalyptus essential oils, and sank into the very warm water. It felt delicious and I had a big smile on my face. The water was still running and I had a good 40 minutes of soak time before I needed to get ready. Heaven. Peace. Warmth.

And then my phone rang. It was Morgan. "Hi Mom. I forgot my chorus uniform and I need it because it's 200 points of our grade."

"Ok," I croaked. I can barely speak because my throat and voice is a total mess. "When do you need it by?"

"Right now."

Holy.Flipping.Hell. I turned off the water and started draining my beautifully put-together bath. No more smile on my face. All those warm and fuzzy feelings of peace and serenity vanished. Just.Like.That.

The rest of my day sucked. I had an appointment with the bank at 9:00 that I really needed to get to. It was pretty comical, no doubt, because every time my financial advisor asked me a question, there would be a long pause as he and his assistant would look at me and I'd realize I was supposed to supply an answer. "I'm sorry, can you repeat that?" was my favorite phrase during that meeting. I finally said, "Maybe we should reconvene on Tuesday."

I then met my friend Jenny (actually, this part didn't suck) to look at a few Myeloma sites she's working on. I then came home and tried to sleep but every time I dozed off, either the phone rang or my mom or dad asked me something, unaware that I was sleeping. And then Siena came home. And I had to take Morgan and Alyssa to soccer practice and wait it out for almost two hours. The one bright spot is that during those two hours, I met William for dinner.

When I got home, I was just annoyed and I wasn't very nice. "Just so you know, Morgan, bringing your chorus uniform today was so not right. I was just getting in the bath and I felt like hell and when you called me I wanted to scrape my eyeballs out."

Morgan started crying. "I know Mom. I'm sorry!"

"No you're not. You have no idea how much I do for you and Siena. You don't appreciate anything I do for you."

...And Siena who was watching TV. "Turn that off. If I hear one more stupid 'hahahahaha' (laugh tracks) I'm going to vomit. Get upstairs and start reading or working on homework." Siena just looked at me, turned the TV and literally ran upstairs.

A little fear is good. I realized I was being Mommy Dearest and to calm down.

So I made some chamomile tea and, at last, fell asleep on the couch.