Saturday, August 24, 2013

RIP James Gerken (Oct 30, 1936- Aug 21, 2013)

Photo: Last night I had to say goodbye to my best friend of 38 years, my Dad.  As many of you  know, he wasn't just a father, but a hero to me.  I am going to miss the calls after the USC games the trips to the Eastern Sierra's, but most of all the unconditional love and support he always showed me. 

Jim Gerken 10/30/36 - 8/21/13
"Grandpa Jim" with his son, Jeff, in the Sierras

It is with a heavy heart that I report the passing of Jim Gerken. He succumbed to mesothelioma, a rare cancer caused by exposure to asbestos.

Jim was an incredible man, father, grandfather and friend. He will be sorely missed. While we cry tears of grief here, there are many on the other side crying happy tears at their reunion.

I can only hope at my passing that those around me will remember me in the way we will remember Jim. I work every day to ensure that is the case. Honesty, kindness, devotion, thoughtfulness, selflessness, and faithful. Those are just a few of the traits that come to mind. I will miss my heated debates with Jim on politics, social issues, and current events. He had a quick wit and was incredibly smart. An avid reader, a lover of fishing and hunting, and a devotion to family and God.

I look forward to spending time with my second family as we lay him to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment