Monday, October 5, 2015

Happy Wedding Weekend To Us!

William and I had one of the funnest weekends EVER! While we officially got married a few weeks ago, we celebrated this past weekend. Here's how it all went down...

On Friday, I let the girls skip school. Early that morning, William, Siena and I headed to the airport and picked up our first set of guests-- his daughter and my former step-daughter, Kalie. It was so awesome to see them both! I have kept in touch with Kalie from the day I left her dad and she is one of my closest friends. Not long ago, I realized that for every big event, I usually called my BFF Julie, my mom, and then Kalie. So she flew out, her first visit since we moved out. After driving around and showing the girls Williams' former homes in the area, we dropped him off, picked up Morgan, and met several friends for lunch at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants out here. After that, we hit up the spa and got mani/pedis and facials. We went home, had time to rest for a bit, and then went out to a high school football game between two big rivals. My BFF Julie arrived and then we all went out for a late dinner.

On Saturday, we got dressed up, went to lunch at our favorite local restaurant, Bona Vida, with close family and out-of-town guests. It was delicious. Afterwards, we drove up into the spectacular American Fork Canyon for photos. It was a bit chilly but beautiful and the lighting for pics was perfect.

That night was our party. It featured great food, a bonfire outside, and a DJ with dancing. I felt so silly, like I was back in high school, but Julie, Christina, Kalie and I set up a mini bar in the master bathroom and we got a bit tipsy. We joined very cool friends from our Bible study group on the back deck sitting around the bonfire indulging even a bit more. I made it indoors and danced with my three year old nephew, Dylan, forever. He must have been tired enough afterwards to sleep for two weeks. William and I dance, so did my parents (my parents, who never do that!!!), my aunt and uncle, Emmy's very reserved son... The DJ was amazing. We hired people to work our party so they did most of the clean up (I highly recommend doing this!) so when everyone left, we went straight to bed. I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.

Sunday morning, Julie and I drove Kalie to the airport. I was so sad to see her go! It felt so natural to have her around that I had to keep reminding myself that she was my ex husband's daughter! (She is nothing like him, thank God.) I can't wait to see her again.

The one big drag is that on Saturday, I noticed a big huge red swell around my central line. I thought, FUCKING CANCER YOU WILL NOT ROB ME OF THIS JOYOUS DAY. But, seriously, what should I do-- do I have a blood clot that requires me to be in the ER or I might DIE? I called Huntsman emergency line and since I had no pain in my arms or legs, or fever, then I was probably ok. So I enjoyed my day to its fullest. By Sunday night, however, that swelling got far bigger and more tender. I went to the ER where they did an ultrasound and blood work. The ER doctor looked alarmed when she came back. "It's amazing that you look this great when your blood work looks like this."

I had to talk myself off an anxiety cliff. That flaming swollen red area around my port had no obstructions and my hemoglobin was a scary 7, when you transfuse. So here I am on Monday, on antibiotics for the flaming swollen area and getting two bags of someone else's donated blood. I know that after the transfusion, I'll have loads of more energy. I actually didn't feel bad. Yes, very tired, but after the weekend we just had, that is to be expected. Plus, I had to wake up at 4AM this morning to take Julie to the airport. Nonetheless, blood products always make one feel like a new person.

So myeloma TRIED to ruin my wedding day but it did NOT. Fuck cancer, excuse my language. I HATE YOU.

But the great news in all of this is that I am now married and officially celebrated to a man I love and adore. We respect each other. I am so blessed and lucky. Even after a devastated health diagnosis, it is possible to rebuild from the ground up and find happiness, love, meaning and peace. I am proof of it.