Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Another scary Ambien story and traveling

So this morning I woke up and the TV in the living room was on, so were the lights. The silverware drawer was wide open, there were dishes on the countertop and a plate with four bagel bites that looked like someone had stuck their fingers into then decided not to eat them at all. I was totally baffled. The girls woke up to get ready for school and I asked them if either had woken up in the middle of the night to eat bagel bites. They looked at me like I was nuts. No, of course not. And, really, I don't see either one of them turning on the TV and having a food fest alone anyway. So there were two options left: 1) ghosts in the house; 2) it was me. I am convinced it was me, which is really disturbing. I don't even like bagel bites. I hate them actually. I only bought them for my daughters because about a month ago, I went to Kansas City for four days and wanted to leave easy snacks for my children while I was gone. And this had to be an Ambien sleep thing. I have no recollection of it at all. What else am I doing in the middle of the night that I don't remember? Oh my gosh. I once went shopping on Ambien. I woke up the next morning only to check my email inbox to discover that I spent some $400 on stuff I don't remember. But am I eating or... I can't even fathom what else. I talked to my nurses today and they will give me another sleep aid without the same side effects. I hate that I even take sleep aids but you try taking Dex and sleeping. It isn't possible!

Did I ever mention how much I love to travel and go places? Life is about experiencing new things and seeing as much as possible, whether it be in your backyard or a continent away. To that end, I went to Kansas City last month. It was a last minute thing and I had company (William). Kansas City is beautiful. Granted, we stayed in a very tony part of the city. But the downtown park, the mansions, restaurants and shopping were superb. I absolutely loved it. I ate way too much, that part was not good. But the rest? I thought Missouri and Kansas were simply fly-over states. If I had not gone to Kansas City, I'd still be thinking that and what a shame that would be.

On Thursday, my daughters and I are flying to Long Beach for a few days.

And in early December, I'm heading to San Francisco for the American Society of Hematologist's convention (ASH). I was admitted as a reporter and I'm so excited to go. It's a huge conference and I will learn a lot and be writing it, blogging it, and Tweeting like crazy. Three years ago, I went to this same convention but as an employee of a major company that had a large presence at the convention. And this time around, I am going as a patient and advocate. Weird how that works. I haven't been to San Francisco in eight years. William is coming with me and we are heading out a day early, staying with my college roomie Jen so we can visit, then checking into the hotel downtown the following day. It'll be a very busy but hopefully fun and rewarding five days.

We just booked a trip for Spring Break. It's a cruise to Honduras and Belize. Just weeks prior, I'll be in Fernandina Beach, Florida for the Myeloma Beach Party. And I am hoping that next summer I can somehow figure out how to live in Croatia. I really want to rent an apartment there for a month or three. Sigh-- a pipe dream? Perhaps, but I can wish and hope and dream some more, right?

And that's my Wednesday post. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment