Sunday, November 17, 2013

Crater swimming

This was my belated birthday weekend, compliments of Dear William. And it snowed! Beautiful white billowy snow. I couldn't have ordered up better weather. It was exactly what I had hoped for and I got it.


Across the street from the Zermatt Resort & Spa in Midway, Utah is a 10,000 year old crater filled with water from underground springs. The water temps are about 95-degrees and, with a reservation, you can swim in it. It is amazing and if you have a bucket list, add this! It's a very cool experience.

On Saturday morning, William and I drove up to Midway, Utah, which is an incredible picturesque town nestled at the foot of the mountains. We got some lunch and checked into our hotel, the lovely Zermatt Resort & Spa.

But this is the cool part-- across the street from Zermatt is a 10,000 year old crater and, if you have a reservation prior, you can swim in it! And that's what we did. We walked into a cave, put on life vests, and got into water that came out of an underground spring and that has been around since, oh I don't know, the dinosaurs or something. (Seriously, I don't know how many years ago the dinos became extinct but it doesn't matter. You get the point...) The fact is, swimming in 95-degree temps in a crater was an incredibly cool experience. It felt so peaceful and dark and calm and cathartic and, well, lovely. We floated and chatted and (I know this sounds really new age-ish) I felt so "present" and "in the moment" (thanks, yoga, for teaching me these concepts!). Even if you don't live in Utah, put this on your bucket list!



When we were done in the pool, we stepped outside to breathtaking beauty. Snow, unspoiled fresh brand new snow. Which meant that back at the resort, it was a perfect time to snuggle and get warm and feel cozy and... well, even writing this it all sounds silly but, seriously, it was so fun. I like having fun and laughing and it's nice to feel that again. Fresh and new and hopeful and optimistic. This is nice. It feels safe.

Even though we were gone for just a day, I missed my girls. I realize that when I'm not with them, I talk about them all the time. I am very lucky to have great parents who are willing to pitch in whenever I need them. While getting cancer was a really horrible thing, there were good things that came from it. I don't know a cancer warrior whose diagnosis didn't change their life for the better in some fashion. For me, among other things, it has enabled me to spend quality time with my mom and dad. They have been my caregivers through my tough treatment, my biggest support and champions, and amazing to my children. They are the best parents around. The set great examples and truly model what being a good person means.

It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is next week. Let the holiday season begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment