Tuesday, June 9, 2015

On finding my personal POWER and kicking ass

I am so tired of complainers and those that wallow in self pity. I mean, I'm utterly SICK OF IT. Not to be confused with those who are in the midst of sickness and grief. But there then enters in a healing phase. One can either heal and conquer or cry and moan. I truly believe I have the "right" to wallow. I chose to never do that. I hope I never will. Call me names and that I don't understand because blah blah blah. TRUST ME, I UNDERSTAND. Life has thrown me some sucky stuff. I GET IT. Now dry up those tears, take a shower, and go have a fabulous day. If you simply can't, go see a therapist so that soon you will be doing just that. And this is the latest via Divorced Moms.

Which Divorced Mom Are You? Victim, Survivor or Warrior?
by Lizzy Smith                   
June 09, 2015
Share on Tumblr
Fotolia_80820970_XS.jpgThere are three types of people who emerge after something really hard happens in life, like a divorce, custody battle, job loss, illness, or the like:

1. Victim
A victim is the innocent person of someone or something else. It is the person in the car crash who stopped at the light, or the one who endured the beatings of a spouse, or who was frauded out of their retirement savings. I've been a victim. I was the victim of an alcoholic's explosive behavior. I am the victim of cancer. Being a victim is real and heartbreaking. But sitting in victimhood mentality is equally heartbreaking because we continue to be the passive, innocent person taking no action to move forward. It leaves us stuck.
Richard Bach, the author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull (a fantastic book-- if you haven't read it, you must!) wrote: "If it's never our fault, we can't take responsibility for it. If we can't take responsibility for it, we'll always be its victim."

I certainly don't take responsibility for getting cancer. I did all the "right" things to stay healthy. I also don't take responsibility for my ex-husband's alcoholism-- he was that way before we met -- nor do I take the responsibility for his inappropriate behavior or actions. I do, however, take responsibility for marrying the guy and not leaving sooner. I take responsibility for responding in ways that weren't good or right. And I did take responsibility for leaving the relationship, healing and putting on my boxing gloves during the divorce, refusing to be his punching bag any longer, and moving forward. I did take responsibility for scraping myself out of bed during cancer treatments and living a really full, meaningful, fun and amazing life. It would be easy to wallow in self-pity but I have consciously decided not to.

Victimhood is powerless and emasculating. It is not a pretty place to be or stay. But there are powerful emotions that we victims feel that helps us stay a victim. For one, victims get lots of attention from others (you poor thing!). We don't have to take some responsibility for our actions in some circumstances. We don't have to force ourselves off the couch and work to move out of being a victim. Plus, there's something that feels oddly good about validating how we were right and innocent and the other person was horrible and wrong.

I recently met a woman who is a fellow multiple myeloma patient. She is in remission and her treatments have gone really well. But nearly every day she complains. She cries all the time. Her bones ache. Her children aren't calling often enough. She may need anti depressants but she can't call a therapist because she can't stop crying. It really seems as if it's far better to share with the world her plight than to be thankful for remission, for living, and for the many friends who support her. I gotta say, as someone who struggles with her same disease, I'm really tired of hearing it. One day, I sent her an email. I am working on a revolutionary project that may actually lead to a cure of myeloma. I am not a doctor, but I am helping spread the word about several oncologists who are developing powerful new therapies and to garner support so that their important work can continue. Would she be willing to start a team? It would cost her zero dollars and take about 10 minutes. She never responded. How many times do I hear from those who are suffering through painful divorces, horrible custody battles, financial hardships, or cancer treatments who want to do nothing in helping themselves recover. It is utterly frustrating.

So if you are stuck in being a victim, try this: Spend the entire weekend at home. Cry. Punch your pillow or walls. Eat an entire batch of raw cookie dough. Write out a list of how life sucks. I'll bet you can maybe come up with 100 reasons. Don't shower. Scream at your children. After a few days, do you feel better? Probably not. You probably don't look or smell better either.

2. Survivor
I once read from a fellow myeloma patient that they never used the word "warrior" when describing cancer. They are a survivor. When I hear this word, it conjures up the person who has awful things happen to them and they manage not to bury themselves under covers and never get out of bed. They plod through what they must and press on. Survivors are resilient, but it feels as though when life throws curveballs, they duck, cover and fight when they must, and wait for the next challenge. Yes, I survived my divorce. I survived my marriage (barely). I survived cancer. But simply surviving wasn't good enough for me. It still felt powerless, and that is not an emotion I enjoy.

3. Warrior
And then there's the warrior. Warriors put on battle gear and go to work. They take risks. It's not easy but it's empowering, and that is an amazing emotion. To conquer. When I was going through a horrific divorce and chemo and stem cell transplants at the same time, I could easily have been the powerless victim. Or just survived the experiences. But I chose to fight.

Keep reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment