Thursday, July 31, 2014

Divorced Moms column: Since You've Been Gone, I Can Breathe For the First Time

From Divorced Moms. Enjoy!

Since He's Been Gone I Can Breath For the First Time
by Lizzy Smith                    
July 31, 2014
                    
Fotolia_61736372_XS.jpgIn the world of dating post-divorce, there are sad breakups, and then there are breakups that don’t matter.

The sad breakup is like the one I experienced with Tom, the guy who got away. When we broke up (actually, when he broke up with me), I was devastated. It was a good month before I could drive past his exit on the freeway without crying (and even years before I could drive past that same exit without feeling sadness). I read self-help books, engaged in tons of retail therapy, got massages, indulged in chick-lit books, went on vacations, stopped eating, dated with a vengeance, and (this is the kicker) married a guy I didn’t love-- all in the hopes of trying to heal and forget. There were all kinds of songs I’d hear on the radio that seemed to be written just for me. They were all sappy and pathetic.

Keep reading...