Sunday, July 21, 2013

St George excursion and home sweet home



We left California (bummer- but we'll be back in October for a week) and made our way to St George where we met up with my friend, William, and his two daughters ages 15 and 14. William planned the whole trip, including hotel and two evenings at the theatre.



St George is as beautiful as it is hot in the summer. And by hot, it is scorching hot. To say it is awe-inspiring is a vast understatement. It is also home to the Tuacahn Theatre. It is outdoors and overlooks the spectacular red rock formations near Snow Canyon. St George has an incredible theatre that puts out Broadway-quality shows. The first night, the six of us went to dinner and then went to see Mary Poppins. A few years ago, Bob and I took the girls to see the same play on Broadway in New York and this one was just as good, I have to say. Since the show didn't start until 8:45pm, the heat was bearable.

Day 2 we were going to go hiking but it was just too hot so we found refuge in a cool theatre and saw Dispacable Me 2 (very cute), did a little shopping, took a nap, and went back out to dinner, then saw Andrew Lloyd Weber's Starlight Express (not my favorite).

The next day, it was a fast drive home. We're home! It's nice to be back. This makes it Day 10 for the number of days Morgan, Siena and I have been here since they got out of school. I'm trying to figure out if I can fit in one more mini vacation before school starts back up. Kind of tricky because Morgan's competitive soccer team is in full gear with practices and she's missed too many already.

On the day of our return, I had to dart up to Huntsman for my four-hour infusion appointment (it's Aridia time!), get diagnosed with yet another bladder infection (OMG they are endless and won't go away!), and look forward to my staycation with William in Park City next weekend.



Last night, we saw The Little River Band in concert. I love them. When they sang Cool Change, it brought me back to the summer before I fled my abusive home. Bob and I had separated and, for once, I felt happy and optimistic about creating a new life in a positive environment. I was going to strive for what Terri, his ex wife had. Peace, joy, and a healthy relationship with a good man. One night, I called my ex boyfriend (the one who got away), Todd. We talked for hours, set up a date for dinner the next night, and then I went outside. It was late, the girls were in bed, the evening was quiet and beautiful. I played with the dogs for a bit, then laid down flat on the diving board and looked up at the sky. It was just one of those moments. I had my iPod and Cool Change came on. I played it again and again and again as I just looked up at the few stars I could see and the moon. And I felt such serenity in that moment.

Here are the words to that song...

Cool Change
If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters
There's lots of those friendly people
Showin me ways to go
And I never want to lose your inspiration
Time for
a cool change...
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Now that my life
is so pre-arranged
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Well I was born in the sign of water
And it's there that I feel my best
The albatross and the whales
they are my brothers
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Starin' at the full moon
like a lover
Time for
a cool change...
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Now that my life
is so prearranged
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Well I've never been romantic
And sometimes I don't care
I know it may sound selfish
But let me breathe the air
If there's one thing in my life that's missing
It's the time that I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters
It's kind of a special feeling
When you're out on the sea alone
Staring at the full moon like a lover
Time for
a cool change...
I know that it's time
for a cool change
Now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time
for a cool change



No comments:

Post a Comment